Applications Engineering Mission
We support winning of system level sales opportunities by providing technical assistance in the evaluation and advancement opportunity phases and promote customer success in the system design and application development process.
Applications Engineer Role
NI Applications Engineering is a team of experienced engineers which principal task is to support the sales force and NI Partners with technical and application expertise. The main goal is to build customer confidence by minimizing project risk and to accelerate go / no-go decisions. In collaboration with the AE Manager it is the Applications Engineers task to qualify and prioritize incoming sales-help requests based on opportunity value, technical feasibility, estimated effort, as well as the exit strategy.
There are different levels of technical consulting an AE will execute either independently or in teamwork with other internal and external resources, such as central NI Applications Engineering Groups (Center of Excellences), the Field and the country AE team, or NI Alliance Partners. Part of AE responsibility is also to enable collaboration by creating and presenting reusable content as well as providing product feedback to BU, product marketing and R&D.
This position is responsible for driving presales technical activities for the Aerospace, Defense and Government industries. Expertise in the Real-time Test, ATE and HIL applications in India & APAC region, with a specific focus on Aerospace and similar control applications in critical product development/Prototyping/validation/manufacturing areas.
Roles and Responsibilities
Helping close the business by executing the technical tasks required such as:
- In-depth understanding of the technical requirements of an opportunity
- In-depth understanding of NI product portfolio, its capability and limitation.
- Keeping track of competitive products
- Understanding market availability and specifications of supplementary ADG (Aerospace, Defense, Government) products to design an integrated solution
- Creation and demonstration of Proof of Concepts and performance benchmarks in support of large sales opportunities
- Quick sales assistance / consulting
- Joint customer visits / web-meetings / conference calls
- Opportunity qualification (accelerate Go / No Go decisions based on technical feasibility, estimated effort, and risk analysis)
- Opportunity consulting and proposal of system architectures and configurations
- Collaboration and Reuse
- On daily basis, collaborate with other AEs (locally and internationally)
- Document and publish relevant project information to enable reuse (in particular by other AEs)
- Create, document, and present reusable content (code libraries, demo applications, reference designs, white-papers, articles, presentations, competitive analysis etc.)
- Leverage application and market know-how by contributing to Sales/marketing events.
- Attend and present at global Support summits
- Plan and execute advanced and customized internal and external trainings (e.g. new product training for alliance partners, this does not include standard NI training classes)
- Collaboration with marketing and sales departments in order to replicate successes
- Provide product, competition, and market feedback to Business Units, product marketing and R&D
- Graduate degree in Electronics/Telecommunication Engineering
- 2 – 5 years of experience in System Testing, Validation, or Manufacturing Test Applications
- Proven knowledge on Hardware in Loop Testing methodologies. Essential knowledge of embedded System testing.
- Essential knowledge of real time system testing exposure in Aerospace, Automotive or any other mission critical domain expertise.
- Strong acumen in simulation models, control algorithms and deployment of systems.
- Hands on Expertise in Real time test system, ATE and HIL using NI or competitor products such as dSpace, ETAS or OpelRT, Matlab etc.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently but also in a team
- Demonstrated ability to understand customer needs
- Prepared to travel within the APAC region
- Excellent communication skills
- Confident appearance and excellent presentation skills
- Language skills: Excellent knowledge of English
- NI LabVIEW, Embedded and NI TestStand Certifications
- Thorough understanding of NI products and platforms
- Preferred knowledge of NI RT ,VeriStand, and Modular Instruments products, FPGA based products and LabVIEW/ LabVIEW FPGA programming, RF product lines
- Practical experience working with the NI Hardware Platforms
- Practical experience developing large LabVIEW Projects
- Practical experience in Project Management
- Basic sales skills