Ciena may well be the most important technology company you’ve never heard of. The innovations that wow us (driverless cars), and those we now take for granted (the ability to mobile-stream your favorite show) are the products of ingenuity from some brilliant and forward-thinking companies. But those companies rely on Ciena, another vanguard of innovation, to create and advance the underlying networks that bring their breakthroughs to our doorsteps. VR, AI, IOT, 5G … literally none of it would be possible without the mind-boggling technology that makes the internet itself work. For more than 25 years, Ciena has been the global leader in networking strategy, and our technology has been part of the critical infrastructure running within the most advanced companies in the world.
What will you do at Ciena?
- Provide system level post-sales support for CIENA’s Customer base. This includes testing, troubleshooting and remote technical support for CIENA products. A good understanding of the fiber optic transport and/or switching protocols is essential.
- Knowledge and experience with personal computers, Microsoft office suite of software. Basic expertise in data communications protocols including Ethernet and IP networks is required. Experience with UNIX and SUN/Oracle systems would be beneficial.
- Provide remote technical support (via telephone or on line) on identified CIENA products 24×7 when required. On call duty includes evenings and weekends.
- Review with senior engineers issues found in the field and assist Communication with Design and Supply Chain on problems found
- Utilize debug tools as well as lab research to aid Customer’s technical problem. Recover information necessary to escalate the incident/issue to senior engineers. Escalation may eventually include Engineering/Design, Product/Project Management, Documentation, or Training
- Provide Customer feedback to Quality Assurance, Design, Product Management, Technical Publications and Training
- Contribute to publishing of MOP/ISB/FSB documents.
- Contribute to knowledge base.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in technical field (e.g. Engineering, Computer Science) from a four-year college or university with zero to three years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Foundation knowledge of the operation of fiber optic transport and/or switching equipment.
- Preferably has experience in a technical support role with an equipment vendor in the Telco industry.
- Basic problem solving experience with OTN/SONET/SDH equipment, Carrier Ethernet equipment or associated fiber optic facilities.
- Proficiency with various ‘office’ software applications including Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word, and Excel
- Ability to analyze, trouble-shoot and resolve problems
- Motivated self-starter with excellent time management skills and an ability to work from broad guidelines with minimal supervision
- An understanding of transport and switching systems for telecommunications applications and Optical Networking
- Familiar with various types of test equipment for optical and protocol testing
- System level trouble shooting on fiber optic telecommunications transport and switching equipment.
- Good foundation knowledge of OTN, SONET/SDH/DWDM and Carrier Ethernet protocols, and a general understanding of other Switching/transport concepts are required.
- Knowledge of computers, data communications, UNIX SUN/Oracle and IP network experience would be a benefit.
- Experience with network management systems would be beneficial
- Strong background in relationship building and Customer focus
- Ability to deal with stressful situations
- Must have the ability to communicate in English language both verbal and written